Create an asthma action plan during the winter months
February 5, 2022
Winter can be the most difficult time of the year for people with asthma. Sudden shifts in the weather along with dry, cold air can cause people to develop more mucus and cause irritation to airways. During these months, it’s especially important to have an asthma action plan in case of a sudden asthma attack.
If you or your child has asthma that requires daily treatment, it is important to have an asthma action plan. An asthma action plan is a written plan that tells you what asthma medicine to take every day and how to treat an asthma attack. It can help you make quick decisions in case you are not able to think clearly during an attack.
An asthma action plan usually includes:
- Treatment goals, which include your personal goals about your asthma.
- An outline of the medicines you take daily for asthma control and when to take them.
- An asthma diary where you can keep track of your symptoms, triggers, and other things that can help you manage asthma.
- Steps to take and medicines to use to treat an asthma attack early, before it becomes severe.
- What to do if an attack becomes an emergency, and where to get medical treatment.
Using an asthma action plan can help you stay active with fewer asthma problems. Following your plan is a big step toward controlling the disease so you can live the life you want.
To request an appointment with a Wayne Health provider, visit our appointment page.