STD, STI clinics on the frontline for monkeypox featuring Dr. Shira Heisler
July 29, 2022
Dr. Shira Heisler is an assistant professor and clinical instructor at Wayne State University’s department of internal medicine and the medical director of the Detroit Public Health STD Clinic. Dr. Heisler discusses how STD and STI clinics have become a frontline for monkeypox cases. “Monkeypox is not traditionally seen as a sexually transmitted infection – however, a new term we’re using is ‘sexually associated.’ The realm that we’re seeing the transmission happen is in sexually associated environments. Compared to COVID – at the STI clinic, I wasn’t being inundated with COVID patients. But because of the community that this (monkeypox) is affecting, and because of where the symptoms are happening, is why I think these cases are coming to us.”
Listen to, “STD, STI clinics on the frontline for monkeypox” featuring Dr. Shira Heisler.
The Detroit Public Health STD Clinic is located at 50 E. Canfield.
- STD screening, testing and treatment for patients and their partners
- Rapid on-site HIV testing
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), a daily oral HIV prevention medication
- Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), a course of HIV prevention medication after high-risk exposure
- Free condoms and lubricant
- Immediate linkage with the WSU HIV treatment program
- Services provided regardless of one’s ability to pay